Revision as of 13:42, 15 April 2019 by Alfino
Back to Philosophy of Food
- Pretty great curry episode on gastropod. Firm in the area of food cultures.
- Coeur Greens (recycled)
- Predicted effects of a southern border shutdown on fresh food. Food security / Food sovreignty
- Current episode on diet and Alzheimer's prevention brief report.
- Another example of values in the food supply chain. Ecology/commerce interface.
- Italian olive oil crisis
- Quick growth GMO salmon
- Green New Deal and food policy. "They want to take away your hamburger."
- heard on the radio: study showing that handwritten menus make customers think the food is healthier, but only in restaurants marketing healthiness.
- Food related service opportunity with O'Malley Hall. This could be an optional assignment.
- Italian Food and well-being site, visit alfino.org and view the video at the bottom of the page.
- Romaine lettuce unsafe throughout US . Meanwhile, you can enjoy many varieties of lettuce in Italy at a fraction of the cost of unhealthy lettuce back home.
- How many Italians get their Olive Oil.
- Some pictures from Florence/Italian food culture.
- Tolstoy Farms near Spokane This article connects with Community Supported Agriculture and is relevant to the Slow Food / Slow culture discussion.
- NPR: DNA Analysis of Ancient Excrement Reveals the Diets of Centuries Past 
- Silicon Valley Wants to Cash In on Fasting. 
- Something about Simon Fairlie, a food ecologist we will read at the end of the month. 
- Watch this short video when you prep the vitamins chapter. 
- 'Fork for guys? 
- Ongoing news over food in trade wars.
- New organ? "the interstitium" ? In any case, a level of complexity for nutrition already.
- Very cute animation. Petite Chef
- Video that explains why food in America is so expensive 
- Some new food economy related to restuarants:
- Some events from Real Food Challenge group on campus:
- Spring Break
- People are signing petitions to add pet food to the use of food stamps. 
- More news about another French chef. Thanks, Bailey.
- Chemicals in Mac and cheese. 
- More on eggs 
- Shepard's Grain video: 
- The Farmer's Daughter Food Truck in Spokane: 
- Trump admin changes rules on school lunch nutrition. 
- Economist: Do higher minimum wages make bad restaurants close? 
- Research on artificially sweetened drinks. 
- More on the microbiome: pregnant mice on penicillan and probiotics 
- Why so much Vitamin D? 
- Trends in Italian farming: 
- recent book reference: Ed Yong, I contain multitudes. 
- The Western Diet in Mexico - 
- Slow Food 
- Eat Wild 
- One of the products of the Slow Food Movement, started in Italy by a group led by Carlo Petrini. []
- Jerome Groopman review of two new books: 
- Reducitarians 
- Human trafficing in the US Food Industry []
- Crowd Cow -- []
- Example of Philosophy of Food academic conference project. AFHVS-ASFS Conference proposal 2017
- Foley research page for Philosophy of Food 
- Civility and Food -- quote from Bybee's "How Civility Works"
- "Just Eat It" trailer . Also, look into "gleaning" as a social practice. Society of St. Andrews.
- So, if extrusion damages nutrition, what about pasta? Why doesn't it have a high glycemic index like breakfast cereals?
- The Impossible (Heme) Burger: 
- The Calorie: In addition the Gastropod episode on the The Calorie, which points out reasons to be a bit skeptical about how we use it, there is this article from The Atlantic , which explains why the USDA standardized RDAs on a 2,000 calorie diet, even though many Americans require more.
- "The Illusion of Taste" -- a Nyer article on industrial food psychology. 
- Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics Annual report on Vegetarian Diets. 
- Interesting page about Grimod. 
- Explore Feminist Food thought. Carol Adams, The Sexual Politics of Meat: A Feminist-vegetarian critical theory is considered important in the field. This course bibliography is pretty interesting. 
- "New Dietary Guidelines Crack down on Sugar but red meat gets a pass," NPR Jan 7, 2016 
- George Monboit's review of Simon Fairlie's Meat: A Benign Extravagance 
- recent food justice article: 
- Fave Food blogs: Gastropod
- David Kalplan's U of North Texas Philosophy of Food bibliography: 
- Marler Clark --  - the lawyer made famous by the 1990's Jack in the Box scandal makes a career of food liability.
- Functional Medicine Site: