Philosophy of Food
Revision as of 12:52, 21 February 2017 by Alfino
Forms and Class Audio
- Pantry Fuel Cooking class availability form: 
- We'll use some of these google forms to do course work:
- Audio From Class
- To access audio from class, fill in the weblink following this example: alfino.org/audiofromclass/4914JAN19.m4a
- Note the "4" after the course number is for the 3:15 section, 5 for the 1:50 section
- Fill in the month and date and ".m4a"
Rough Outline of Optional Philosophy of Food Assignments
- Diet Review and Improvement -- Review your own diet and consider the effects of specific changes you might make.
- Choose 1, 2, or all three of these options:
- 1. Tracking. Use an online diet tracking site to create a "baseline" analysis of your diet. Compare your diet to US Dietary Guidelines . You can start this assignment between Feb 1 and March 1. Consider Myfitnesspal or any food/diet site that is connected to the large food and nutrition databases. Enter most of the foods you eat over a 7-10 day period. We will get into more detail on this, but try to look up nutritional norms for your age, health, and weight. Compare with your actual diet and the US Dietary Guidelines. Write up your observations in a 3-4 paper. You may want to focus on a general comparison of your diet to the guidelines, things you didn't notice or were surprised by about your diet, the proportion of whole food vs. industrial food products, the regularity or lack of regularity in the diet, etc. Due no later than March 1.
- 2. Elimintation DietTry small changes in your diet by eliminating some or all of the following: industrial processed food, sodas, eating between meals, and refined carbohydrates, especially refined sugar. Consider re-sourcing industrial meat to local organic. Try adding a non-meat protein dinner, such as a lentil or bean dish. Try the same as a restaurant. Use a journal to track your experience of these changes. Using the journal as a source, report on your experience in a 2-3 reflection paper. Start as soon as mid-February but finish no later than late March.
- 3. 3 Way Diet analysisIn light of your study of nutrition this semester, make an analysis of your diet that considers three standards: nutrition, satisfaction, and practicality. Late April.
- 4. After following the previous steps, create a diet plan for yourself based on your food values, following the example of Alfino, "A Simple Diet Plan" (see pdf at course links). Write up a report of your plan in 4-6 pages. End of April.
- Food System Research, Food Journalism, & Food Activism -- Research a specific aspect of food production and distribution in your local food system. A research focus involves documenting the issue and giving your analysis of it, whereas an activism focus may involve trying to promote positive change. Here are a few examples:
- Research a particular grocery store's sourcing choices.
- Why does a local store sell peppers from Holland? Can they be sourced locally?
- What organizations exist in Spokane to help promote local food production?
- Investigate Sodexho's dietary standards and sourcing choices?
- Assess one or more restaurant menus in terms of nutrition, sourcing, or gastronomy.
- Food movie and book groups -- Get together with other students or work on your own to deepen your understanding of an additional book or movie source on food. Choose journals and/or class reporting as part of this assignment. Food movies
- Some possible books:
- Caffeinated Murray Carpenter
- Short Term Research - Many of the issues and topics we discuss are in flux due to emerging research and changes in food production and consumption. Here are some suggested topics for further research.
- Research a fad diet from the last few years in light of research and reflection.
- Are we getting better at farm raised fish?
Philosophy of Food Resources
- The Impossible (Heme) Burger: 
- The Calorie: In addition the Gastropod episode on the The Calorie, which points out reasons to be a bit skeptical about how we use it, there is this article from The Atlantic , which explains why the USDA standardized RDAs on a 2,000 calorie diet, even though many Americans require more.
- "The Illusion of Taste" -- a Nyer article on industrial food psychology. 
- Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics Annual report on Vegetarian Diets. 
- Interesting page about Grimod. 
- Explore Feminist Food thought. Carol Adams, The Sexual Politics of Meat: A Feminist-vegetarian critical theory is considered important in the field. This course bibliography is pretty interesting. 
- "New Dietary Guidelines Crack down on Sugar but red meat gets a pass," NPR Jan 7, 2016 
- George Monboit's review of Simon Fairlie's Meat: A Benign Extravagance 
- recent food justice article: 
- Fave Food blogs: Gastropod
- David Kalplan's U of North Texas Philosophy of Food bibliography: 
- Marler Clark --  - the lawyer made famous by the 1990's Jack in the Box scandal makes a career of food liability.
- Functional Medicine Site: