Philosophy of Food
- Philosophy of Food Course Research Questions
- Philosophy of Food Reading Schedule
- Philosophy of Food Fall 2018 Class Notes
- Basic Course Information for Philosophy of Food
- Philosophical Methods
- Advice on Reading
- Assignment Rubric
- The Short Short Guide to Wiki Edits
- Student Practice Page
- Food News!
- The $200 / month diet. — Let’s use this for any summary of a diet that you would like to share with the class.
- Group Writing - Food 2018
- Roster Information
- Short Objective Quiz
- Tell Me
- Anonymous Preference Voting
- Small Group Discussion Report - Food
- Worksheets for Nutrition Chapters
Final Paper Options
- Your final paper should be a 7-9 page (typed double spaced) paper satisfying one of the following topics:
- First Steps: In early April, I'll ask you to share some ideas about your topic interests in small group work.
Ideas for Food Journalling and Investigations in Florence
Here are some ideas for optional work that helps you connect our Philosophy of Food course to Florence and your study abroad experience. Many of these involve an kind of amateur "ethnography" in which you carefully observe characteristics of the local (or European) food culture for distinctive practices and organization.
- Restaurant and Food markets (including supermarket) culture
- Visit several supermarkets and at least one open market (Mercato Centrale, but maybe also the Mercato St. Ambrogio, including at least one outside the centro. Observe the layout of the market, proportions of different kinds of products (industrial, artiginale, local, national brands), notice how food is presented and served to be sold. If you a quantitatively oriented you might focus on the sizes and prices of foods in comparison to the US. Qualitatively issues include the aesthetics of the market, quality of products, and how the market is organized. Who is shopping there and what are they buying? Try an Esselunga or Coop (via Gioberti or Novoli #22 bus from the station).
- Since you visit restaurants to complete your diet here, try to develop a sense of the variety of Italian eating establishments. Get outside the Viale for this assignment as well. Compare menu organization, content, assumptions about diner preferences. How do Italians eat out? When do they go to dinner? How to they take apperitivi? You make need to research the different types of restaurants to understand your experience.
These experiences can be done as journal assignments (3 or 6 for 5% or 10% of your grade) or short research papers.
Rough Outline of Optional Philosophy of Food Assignments and Topic Ideas
I will work on some new assignments for the Florence version of the course. Some of the assignments listed below may not be practical under conditions in Florence:
- Diet Review and Improvement -- Review your own diet and consider the effects of specific changes you might make.
- Choose 1, 2, or all three of these options:
- Food System Research, Food Journalism, & Food Activism -- Research a specific aspect of food production and distribution in your local food system. A research focus involves documenting the issue and giving your analysis of it, whereas an activism focus may involve trying to promote positive change. Here are a few examples:
- Research a particular grocery store's sourcing choices.
- Why does a local store sell peppers from Holland? Can they be sourced locally?
- What organizations exist in Spokane to help promote local food production?
- Investigate Sodexho's dietary standards and sourcing choices?
- Assess one or more restaurant menus in terms of nutrition, sourcing, or gastronomy.
- Food movie and book groups -- Get together with other students or work on your own to deepen your understanding of an additional book or movie source on food. Choose journals and/or class reporting as part of this assignment. Food movies
- Some possible books:
- Caffeinated Murray Carpenter
- Short Term Research - Many of the issues and topics we discuss are in flux due to emerging research and changes in food production and consumption. Here are some suggested topics for further research.
- Research a fad diet from the last few years in light of research and reflection.
- Are we getting better at farm raised fish?
Miscellaneous Food News and Food Culture
- Electric Spoon []
- Fasting -- Mark Mattson: Why fasting bolsters brain power. 
- Weird food songs (good for food and gender reflection):