2010 Fall Philosophy Proseminar Dates
Modern Hinduism developed from an older religion called Rigveda (1700-1100 B.C.E.).
Buddha was born in 5 century B.C.E. He had his enlightenment at the age of 35, and began teaching others how to do this until his death at age 80 (in 483 B.C.E.).
Indian philosophy began to divide into different disciplines in 200C.E. Some of these Indian philosophies are:
- Samkhya (roughly 3 century C.E. as beginning point);
- Yoga ( the oldest material dated back to 400 B.C.E.);
- Nyaya (earliest writings around the 2 century C.E.);
- Vaisheshika (2 century B.C.E. and one of it's major texts is form the 4 century C.E.);
- Purva-Mimamsa (a lot of the texts were from 3 to 1 century B.C.E.); and
- Vedanta (around 200 B.C.E.)--Jjohnson9 19:01, 2 October 2010 (UTC)
- Confucius 551 BC – 479 BC
- Lao Tzu 6th century bc
- Chaung Tzu 399-300
- Beg. of classical Chinese philosophy: Chou Springand Autumn period 722-481bc
Wattring State period 403-222bc
- Mencius 370-270
- Hsun Tzu (298-238)
- Mo Tzu (479-438)
- Alfino 16:39, 3 October 2010 (UTC)
Pre Sectarian Buddhism, Sangha, appeared around 450 BCE in India
Early Buddhist schools appeared around 300 BCE in India
Theravada Buddhism appeared around 250 BCE in Southeast Asia
Greco-Buddhism and Silk Road Buddhism appeared in Central Asia around 250 BCE
Chán, Tendai, Pure Land, Zen, and Nichiren Buddhism appeared in East Asia around 100 CE
Mahayana Buddhism appeared in India around 500 CE
Tibetan Buddhism began in 700 CE in Central Asia
Vajrayana Buddhism began in 700 CE in India
Shingon Buddhism began in 800 CE in East Asia
Buddhism is almost extinct in India in the middle ages. Again gaining popularity now.
Skolmes 22:09, 4 October 2010 (UTC) Theravada Buddhism appeared around 250 BCE
Some more dates in Indian Philosophy/religion.
- 1200-900 BCE the early Vedic period (earliest Vedas compiled)
- 900-600 BCE Late Vedic period. Brahmanical religion develops beliefs in social obligation, etc .
- 800-300 BCE The 11 major Upanishads are developed. These include ideas of reincarnation, etc.
- 500-600 BCE Buddhism and Jainism are established.
- 600-1000 CE tantras are developed.
Kobywarren 05:20, 5 October 2010 (UTC)