Return to Ethics
Follow this pattern to post research results and links to this page:
- (Brief description of resource. Link if any. Your real name.)
Try to group your posts under topics, maybe using subheadings or putting posts near other related topics.
Main Topic Questions
- What are the ethical challenges of climate change abatement?
- What principles of justice should govern the sharing of burdens to address climate change?
- Should we continue to follow the Paris Accords?
- Does the United States have a moral obligation to uphold the Paris Climate Agreement and, if so, what is the extent to which the U.S. must uphold this agreement?
- MFT on liberal versus conservative views on Climate Change.
- Ways to use MFT to encourage conservative support of Climate Change Action.
- The role capitalism has had in causing climate change; and how different economic systems could be the answer to the problem.
- * Ways neoliberalism has caused individuals to focus on market solutions to climate change and why this only perpetuates the issue.
- Review Singer chapter on climate change.
- Look into arguments that address how climate change may harm the economy.
- Look into the ways in which climate change can help the economy (specifically in terms of future opportunities of clean energy)
- Find scientific information that explains global disproportionality of greenhouse gas emissions (the difference between emissions of developed countries and undeveloped countries)
- Review credible scientific sources that study the disproportionate effects of climate change on the poor and those that contribute least to global climate change
- Look into the relationship of social inequality to climate change issues
- Research on the green house gas contributions of developed versus developing countries. United States is top GHG contributor. 50% of the global CO2 emission budget has already been used if we are globally aiming for only a 2 C increase in global temperatures by 2100. Each country should have an average of 0.22 C emissions per billion people in order to achieve the 2 C increase target, but many developed countries, including the United States, are already exceeding this value. In addition, in manufacturing heavy countries such as China, many of the GHG emissions result from products that are shipped for consumption to developed countries. http://berc.berkeley.edu/ranking-global-warming-contributions-by-country/
Article discussing the benefits of switching to renewable energy sources, including reduction in greenhouse gas emissions, improved public health and environmental quality, an inexhaustible energy supply, increase in jobs and other economic benefits, and a more reliable and resilient energy system. http://www.ucsusa.org/clean-energy/renewable-energy/public-benefits-of-renewable-power#.WQDkCNLyvgk
Article on the disproportionate burdens and the multidimensional impacts of climate change on the health of Indigenous Australians. https://www.mja.com.au/system/files/issues/190_01_050109/gre11091_fm.pdf
Article discussing who has moral responsibility for climate change. http://www.e-ir.info/2013/03/06/who-has-moral-responsibility-for-climate-change/
Article highlighting ethical questions relating to responsibility and climate change https://newrepublic.com/article/125279/whos-responsible-climate-change
http://www.pewinternet.org/2016/10/04/the-politics-of-climate/ liberals vs. Conservatives (who believes in climate change)
http://news.gallup.com/poll/201152/conservative-liberal-gap-continues-narrow-tuesday.aspx How many liberals and conservatives there are in the US
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/12/14/climate/republicans-global-warming-maps.html Conservative beliefs why climate change ISN'T real
https://undark.org/2017/03/02/global-warming-ten-assumptions/ Reasons conservatives don't believe in climate change
https://thinkprogress.org/poll-scare-lawmakers-who-reject-climate-action-c3b84c10ac41/ increase in belief on climate change in millennials
https://thebulletin.org/climate-change-generation-gap9351 differences of belief in republicans and democrats
https://www.campaigncc.org/parlsceptics skeptical views of climate change
https://www.nrdc.org/stories/global-warming-101?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIzY-Dkee22AIVB7jACh09xQlZEAAYASAAEgI27PD_BwE summary of global warming, what's causing it, what it's causing
https://www.globalchange.gov/browse/reports/global-climate-change-impacts-united-states How climate change impacts the US
https://e360.yale.edu/features/can_we_trust_climate_models_increasingly_the_answer_is_yes How scientists know that their models are working correctly