Major Wisdom Research Questions
Return to Wisdom
- Is wisdom real or a subjective and cultural myth?
- Is wisdom a kind of knowledge? If so, what kind of knowledge is it?
- Can wisdom be acquired? If so, what sorts of learning and training work?
- How do religious and secular approaches to wisdom differ?
- What is the age of onset of wisdom?
- Is Wisdom more like the discovery of knowledge or a kind of making (Aristotle - Osbeck p. 70)
- Is Wisdom partly the result of personal training of emotions, (especially, in relation to knowledge of reality (Stoicism) or the nature of mind (Yoga), or a view about the reality of self and change (Buddhism)? Evaluate these ancient philosophies for points of view that contribute to your theory.
- Does wisdom contribute to life satisfaction?
- Is Wisdom a form of social cognition?
- Does our evolutionary history tell us anything about how wisdom is realized in our species?
- Can we talk about wise and unwise cultures?