Medical Revolution The Gut Microbiome Notes
Back to Philosophy of Food
Medical Revolution The Gut Microbiome
- circa 2011-2013 research on Microbiome (M).
- Obesity & M research - evidence that short chain fatty acids (SCFAs), produced by gut bacteria, boost fat consumption
- Aging -- evidence that "equol", produced by M, boost collogen
- Diabetes -- also SCFAs, boosts insulin production (Louisiana researchers)
- Cancer research - Eiji Hara - looked for cancer causing compounds from M, found and named "Clostritium ...", found in M of obese subjects, triggers aging in cells, increasing prob of cancer.
- Fatigue syndrome -- Clostridum difficile (C-def) implicated. fecal transplant case --24mins -- 92% success rate for this infection.
- Gut brain - Neural brain communication -- anxiety, fear, happiness, joy. timid / active mouse study. mouse sex talk study. 4EPs implicated in difference, product of M. blocking 4EPS changed behavior. Premysl Bercik
- Cognitive functions possibly affected by products of M. Concentration, memory, facial id... Test subjects ingest specific type of bacteria.
- 35mins -- background on neural brain -- gut brain pathways -- 100 million nerve cells in gut. Interic nervous system.
- Brain imaging study on depression, also Premysl Bercik.
- Koala bears --- 38mins --- How do Koala's tolerate Eucalyptus? New species in Koala feces. They're cute, but they eat mom's ....!
- Gut bacteria during childbirth. Bacteria colonize us at birth. Happy Birthday! Researcher Sidonia Fagarasan.
- 42:30 IgA - antibody in gut, but doesn't play typical antibody role in gut. mucus layer of M important. IgA plays gatekeeper role on who gets into the mucus layer by binding process, reduces surface resistance, allowing bact to enter. (very cool graphics at 46-47mins). Implication that we have co-evolved with bacteria.