Summer 2013 Philosophy of Culture Reading List
This reading list, along with the Learning Community Reading List, and your own reasearch, comprise the reading for the course. You will find pdfs for all of these readings on the course website.
- Daron Acemoglu and James Robinson, eds. 2012. Why nations fail: Crown Business. (excerpted)
- Tim Coates. 2001. King guezo of dahomey 1850-52: The abolition of the slave trade on the west coast of africa (uncovered editions). London: The Stationery Office.
- Clifford Geertz. 1973. Chapter 1: Thick description: Toward and interpretive theory of culture. In The interpretation of cultures, ed. Clifford Geertz:3-30. New York: Basic Books.
- Joshua Hammer. 2012. On the vodun trail in benin. New York Times, February 3, 2012.
- Judy Rosenthal. 2005. Religious traditions of the togo and benin ewe. In A handbook of eweland: The ewe of togo and benin, ed. Benjamin Lawrance:183-96. Accra: Woeli Publishing Services.
- Jeffrey Sachs. 2005. The end of poverty. New York: Penguin. (excerpted)
- USAID. 2005. Promoting women's legal rights in benin. Economic Perspectives.
- E. O. Wilson. 2012. The social conquest of earth. New York: Norton. (excerpted)