Philosophy Proseminar Methods Test Study Guide
Return to Philosophy Proseminar
1. Understand all basic terms from argument theory. reason, claim, premise, argument, explanation, rationale, induction, deduction, analogy, etc.
2. Be able to distinguish explanations from arguments, deductive from inductive arguments.
3. Review concept of validity and the Principle of Induction; review Paley's and Hume's criticisms of it.
4. Understand, distinguish, and give examples of different types of definitions. (Copi)
5. Explain and exemplify three main assessment strategies for arguments.
6. Review both lists of philosophical methods.