From AlfinoJump to navigationJump to search
- Proseminar Reading Schedule
- Philosophy Proseminar Basic Course Information
- Weekly Class Work Space for Proseminar Fall 2015
- Fall 2015 Proseminar Browsing Exercise
- The Short Short Guide to Wiki Edits (anonymous login: student / bulldog)
- Assignment Rubric
- Google Forms:
Documents, Readings, and Miscellaneous things
Resources on Method
- Philosophy Proseminar Instructional Notes on Method
- General List of Philosophical Methods
- Philosophical Methods for Philosophy Majors
- Philosophy Proseminar Methods Test Study Guide
- Text for Methods Text Reconstruction: Bring a 1-1 1/2 page typed reconstruction of Singer, Chapter 9 "Altruism and Happiness" Media:Singer_The_Most_Good_Ch._9_Altruism_and_Happiness.pdf
- Wikipedia Article on Philosophical Method (Dempsey)
- [Powerpoint] and [Audio] for "What Can We Learn from Postmodern Theories of Meaning and Truth?," talk, Gonzaga University, March 27, 2012.
Philosophy mags, blogs, and other browsing
- False Belief Test 
- Here is the publication The Speculative Turn, for more reading on Speculative Philosophy. The editor's introduction gives a concise introduction to speculative thinking thus far. 
- As a follow up to our science class, you might find this essay by Steven Weinberg relevant. 
- Philo of Alexandria
- We can't send a search and rescue team into Plato's cave.
- David Papineau on Physicalism, Philosophy Bytes
- Summary of William James' approach to religious belief
- Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy comparing Hume and Kant
- Check out Philosophy magazine, full text through Foley. You can have them send you an email when a new issue comes out. This link might work  or go through Foley, periodicals link, "philosophy" then click link to full text holding.
We'll follow the exchange on naturalism, which begins with this article .
- Check out "Philosophy Talk" a long running podcast on different topics in philosophy today.
- Books to consider for book groups: Logicomix, All things Shining, The Really Hard Problem, NEW: The World Outside Your Head.
- Fora TV, a great resource for debates and scientific talks, similar to Ted talks.
- Relativism, ethnocentric issues highlighted in bizarre African documentary on Austrian customs. 
- Video for the Trolley Problem 
- Info about the Film and Philosophy conference
- First episode of Michael Sandel's video series "Justice." Reminds me of an Ethics class with a political and real world emphasis. 
- Randy Mayes has collected some short philosophy video to go along with his intro class. I recommend sampling some of these for topics and position papers. 
- Anyone interested in classical philosophers and want their original texts would be interested in this site  I've used it to look up The Meno, but I'm assuming more stuff is on here.
- 3 minute philosophy!!! 
- Free Yale Philosophy class called "Death" 
- Squashed Philosophy  -- a summary of many different works. Great if you need to get an idea of what's what.
- Interactive Greek Philosophy Timeline  Creeder 02:46, 6 September 2011 (UTC)
- Monty Python's World Philosophy Cup 
- Now this is a satire, but relevant to our readings by Singer. Jonathan Swift's A Modest Proposal  (Ethan)
- Teaching ethics to inmates, you may be surprised what you read. 
- TED Philosophy Videos 
- Philosophy of Food Project 
- This issue of the AAUP's journal on academic freedom focuses on the Steven Salaida case.
- Link to an article about the background and significance of Gilles Deleuze in preparation for the readings for September 9 
- Example of an extended philosophy bibliography. Kaplan's Food Bibliography
- Soylent 
- French Farmer Protests 
- Moral Psych piece.