Study Guide for Philosophy Proseminar Methods Test
Return to Philosophy Proseminar
1. Understand all basic terms from argument theory: claim, reason, premise, conclusion, argument, explanation.
2. Be able to give a concise reconstruction of an argumentative passage. Review the criteria for good reconstruction.
2. Be able to distinguish explanations from arguments, deductive from inductive arguments. Identify deductively basic valid patterns.
3. Review concept of validity and the Principle of Induction. What is the problem of induction?
4. Understand, distinguish, and give examples of different types of definitions. Given a concept, write a paragraph using three types of definitional strategies.
5. What is a teleological explanation?
5. Explain and exemplify three main assessment strategies for rationales, arguments, and explanations.
6. Review both lists of philosophical methods.