Philosophy of Italian Culture
- Course Information
- Course Reading Schedule
- Assignments for Grading Schemes
- In-class Notes
- Study Questions
Assignments and some scores
- Choose your pseudonym: 
- Student Information Form 
- Current points from assignments: Media:PhilItalCultureQuizScoreswonamesAPR22.pdf
- NYRB article, Stille, Alexander "The Pope Who Tried" (on ereserves)
- Excerpt from Lanzia cookbook on Fesitval of San Giuseppe. Media:SanGiuseppefrLanziaCookbook.pdf
- Documentary on Italian immigration 
- Signalling Theory -- this mentioned as an important development in theory related to explanation of culture. Take a minute for the wiki introduction. 
- Example of how Geertz is being used in contemporary scholarship 
- Anthropology, Inc and the Coolhunt: Here's an article that a student in a related class found on how anthropology is being used today for market research. Very interesting for developing your intuitions on ethnography . It reminded me of an older piece by Malcolm Gladwell that is somewhat famous: The Coolhunt 
Italian History Links
- Good illustrated narration of the effect of the Congress of Vienna. 
- Bas-relief du Palazzo degi Uffici (EUR, Rome) - referred to in Pugliese. Note image of Mussolini at bottom center.
- Timeline from class Feb 4
- Megan Trudell, Gramsci: The Turin Years, International Socialism, 9 April 07.
- Glossary Terms: Economism, Hegemony, Historical Bloc
- Political Philosophy/Social Philosophy: J. S. Mill and Karl Marx -- Mill and Mazzini knew each other and had similar political views (great paper topic here). These notes might help you locate Mill, Mazzini, and Marx on the standard political spectrum.
- World War 1: The breakdown of capitalism
- Chapter 22: Gramsci - theory of hegemony, civil society, an revolution
- Timeglider timeline on Italian History, needs work. 
- "Just-so Stories" []
- Minder and Ferriter presentation on Epigenetics: Open this powerpoint  and audio  to replay this presentation.