2009 Fall Proseminar Wiki Root Page
- Philosophy Proseminar Basic Course Information
- Professor's Weekly Blog for the course.
- Open Class Notes. Occassional lecture/presentation notes. Students welcome to contribute.
- Student Work. Samples of student work.
- Philosophy Writing Experiments
- Collaborative Research Exercise
- End of Semester Student Statements and Work
Major Areas of Instruction in the Course
1. Overview of the Discipline, some of its major fields, major epochs, etc.
2. Review and advancement of argumentation and explanation skills & knowledge of Philosophical Methods.
3. Research Skills
4. Finding and Developing your philosophical voice.
Documents, Readings, and Miscellaneous things
- W.T. Jones on Heidegger (just the beginning of his chapter on Heidegger)
- Heidegger, Intro to Being and Time
- Paul Ricoeur, Existetnce and Hermeneutics
- David Papineau on Physicalism, Philosophy Bytes
- Penelope Maddy, "Second Philosophy" (Also visit her website at: )
- Jonathan Haidt, The Real Difference between Liberals and Conservatives, TED talk
- Excerpt from Jones on Sartre on Human Condition in Nausea
- Husserl, Edmund. Chapter 1 "The Natural Attitude and the "Natural Concept of the World"
- Husserl, Edmund. Chapter 2 "The Natural Attitude and the "Natural Concept of the World"
- Gauthier, David. "Morality and Advantage"
- Nick Bostrom, The Transhumanist FAQ and 
- Judith Jarvis Thompson, A Defense of Abortion
- Jonathan Glover, What Sort of People Should There Be?
- Faith & Reason Seminar, October 6, 2009.
- Northwest Conference Link]
- Dennett, Chapters 2 and 3 from Darwin's Dangerous Idea
- Thomas Nagel, What is it like to be a Bat?
- General List of Philosophical Methods
- Philosophical Methods for Philosophy Majors
- Spokane Philosopher's Guild